The texts in this blog are published with their original spelling and grammar. No comments and teacher feedback are included.

Friday, May 13, 2011

The Quarantine Act (review)

Mehitobel Wilson
( Review by Nuñez Melina)

The Quarantine Act is a complex story written by the well-known and famous writer Mehitobel Wilson. This story is directed to teenagers and adults who love horror fiction and enjoy stories concerned with zombies. The author uses a wide vocabulary and she does not include illustrations which would be useful for the readers to understand the story.

The main characters of this story are a man called Alan and his wife Julia. Alan is in quarantine because of an epidemic that affects many citizens in the state where he lives. He refuses to accept an injection to be immunized and he dies but he becomes a zombie who is present all the time and mantains a relationship with his wife during the rest of the quarantine.

I do not recommend this story since it is very difficult to follow and to understand. What is more, the author mixes different events in the story that makes the reader feel lost.


10 comments:

Angelica said...

Good review!
I could understand your point though the introduction was somewhat confusing ( perhaps because of the use of "concerned" instead of "concerning" and "and" instead of "but" at the end).
I think you could have omitted some details of the story but the conclusion and the recommendation (or not) are perfectly clear.

Anonymous said...

hi mel!!!
I liked your not recomendation! I think it is well written but I agree with Angelica about the 2 corrections. In that way the review makes sense... very good try!
laura dambolena

Natalia Diquech said...

I liked your review!!!
However, there are some things that affect understanding. For example the last sentence in the first paragraph, in my opinion, is a negative point you are making about the story. If it is so, I think you could have written a connector of contrast like however or although: “however, the author uses a wide vocabulary and she does not include illustrations which would be useful for the readers to understand the story” or “Although this story is directed to teenagers and adults who love horror fiction and enjoy stories concerned with zombies, the author uses a wide vocabulary and she does not include illustrations which would be useful for the readers to understand the story”. Apart from that, you could have used the preposition “about” instead of "concerned" or, as Angelica said, "concerning".
The conclusion was really good. In general, it was a very good review.

Meli said...

Thanks Girls!!!!I agree with all of you!!your comments are very useful!=)

Anonymous said...

Hi Meli!, after reading your review some questions came to my mind. What kind of relationship does the zombie husband maintain with his wife? Do they continue with their normal life? I can't also realize up to what extent horror is present in this story. Anyway the story must be awful since you don't recommend it.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to sign, Renée

Florencia Gonzalez said...

Renee's questions are good! But I don't know if she can reveal those details to us in a review. On the other hand, her purpose is to convince us not to read the story but the mistery behind these questions can have the opposite effect on the potencial reader!

Silvina Rago said...

Meli!
I like your review, mainly because you made it clear that you did not like the story at all!
The corrections done by the girls about the use of connectors are ok since I understand you want to express contrast and negation. Anyways, I find it very clear! Well done!

IVANNA PALAZZETTI said...

Meli!
I think it´s a good review! You made it clear that you didn´t like the story and that it was difficult to follow. I think you could manage to convince the reader about that.
Anyway, I agree with Angelica´s and Natalia´s corrections. The review would have been clearer using other words.
Well done!!

Guadalupe said...

Meli, I have enjoyed reading your review. I think it goes directly to the point. However, I agree with Angelica´s corrections since your review would´ve been more understandable.