The texts in this blog are published with their original spelling and grammar. No comments and teacher feedback are included.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Jerry´s kids meet Wormboy (review)

David J. Schow
(Review by Ivanna Palazzetti)

`Jerry´s kids meet Wormboy´ is a horror short story about zombies which was written by David J. Schow. It belongs to a big book of short stories collection called `The book of the dead´.

This particular story tells the reader about a cannibal teenager named Wormboy who decides to entrench himself at the crest of Valley View cemetery´s oldest hilltop. He leads the group of the Born-Agains which confronts Right Reverend Jerry´s one. Jerry is situated at the opposite hilltop leading his Deacons, the 'geeks' of his undead congregation. He controls his Deacons by feeding them rattlesnake venom and tries to convince them with his interpretation of the Armageddon and the Second Coming. After some fights between Wormboy and Right Reverend Jerry, the plot has an unexpected and horrific twist, which I´m sure you wouldn´t want to read about.

I, particularly, wouldn´t encourage teenagers to read `Jerry´s kids meet Wormboy´, because it includes some inappropriate themes such as homosexuality, drugs, alcohol, discrimination, and cannibalism among others like religion. What is more, the vocabulary that the author has used in this story is too complex not only for adolescents but also for adults, and in some parts there are even insults.

-Ivanna Palazzetti-

12 comments:

Angélica said...

I will follow your advice!!! Your review is very convincing!!! To make it perfect it should be shorter and with less names.

Ivanna Palazzetti said...

Thanks Angelica! I´ll follow your recommendation for next time!

Anonymous said...

hi ivanna!
I think that all the adversities you stablished about this short story attracted me to read it more than if you recommended it. kind of rebelion... jajaja! but your review is very well written!
congrats!
lau

Silvina Rago said...

Hi Ivanna!

It is clear that you did not like the story at all! LOL
It was clear to me, but maybe if you try to shorten your clauses that may help a lot on understanding and simplifying it. Well done!

Pilar said...

Hi Ivanna!!!!
I liked your review and I think it´s very well written!!!!
I wouldn´t recommend it either!!! Good Ivi!!!!
Pilar

IVANNA PALAZZETTI said...

Thanks Pilar!! =D

andrea said...

hello ivanna!I enjoyed reading your review.It´s very clear and understandable.I only would avoid some names you include.I think your writing is very good.well done ivi!!!!!!!!!

Ivanna Palazzetti said...

Thanks Andy!

Dusty Lee said...

That's fine about the points of drugs and gore not being appropriate for teens, I don't really agree, but I can understand your point.

However, what exactly is wrong with homosexuality in books for teenagers? What if the teenager is gay? It would help them not feel so alienated to read about other gay characters in books. I know it would have helped me and I wish there would have been more books with gay characters around when I was a teen. Try to be a little more openminded.

Dusty Lee said...

Oh, and one more thing: the vocabulary in this story is hardly complex. I'm assuming you were being facetious? Because if not, it gives me incredible concern to think that a story at a reading level of a 9th grader would be considered "complex". Perhaps that's a reflection of the results that can happen to intellect after too much exposure to your, as was so revered in your "report", religion.

Dusty Cleaner said...

Hey, Dusty, I think you'd do better if you contextualise what you read. Haven't you noticed this is a blog by EFL trainee teachers working with non-native students? Ignoring the context of what you read shows poor reading skills from your part. But I'm sure you can improve, right? It's not my intention to put you down, just as you seem to be doing to people you don't know anything about.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

How would he notice that? This blog links DIRECTLY from a google search for the title of the short story. The only "context" provided is a phrase at the top of the page, which I now quote "Language & Written Expression student's blog" which does not convey much at all this blog. Your snide, ad hominem attack on Dusty's "reading comprehension" is rude, and uses the logical fallacy of assumed knowledge. Maybe if you don't want this website to attract attention from random strangers, you should have the sense to limit its access.